Saturday, May 12, 2007

First fish of the year

Yesterday I decided to break in my new motor . The manual says it takes 10 hours so I prepared for a long day. Now if you ever "broke in" a new motor you know that it's a tedious process. For the first hour you cruise at 1/4 throttle, the second hour at 1/2 throttle and the next 8 hours at variable speed. It was during the variable speed (i.e. trolling) that I decided to wet a line. After about an half hour I had my first bite and first fish. It was a small northern pike. A little bit later I had my second bite and it was an arctic char. It was gorgeous, probably 6 pounds. After I let the fish go I thought of my dad. He has never caught an arctic char. How do I know this? If he did it would be mounted and on the wall. Except for rough fish my dad has mounted nearly every species of fish he has caught. There are no arctic char on his walls. The last count of mounted fish (which my mother can tell you exactly how many there are) is over 90 fish. 90 fish! His accumulation of fish began with a northern pike he caught in 1969 in Pierre, South Dakota. I was there with him when he caught it. The addiction continued shortly thereafter with a bass from Lake Carlos. I was with him when he caught that one too. I think he needs to come and catch an arctic char....I digress.

Every thing worked great with the motor, caught a couple of fish, and had a great day on the water in Alaska. My only company on the lake were the moose, loons, and bald eagles.

One last thing, I mentioned that the sun is coming up at 5:30 and setting by 10:30. Everyday it's gaining over 5 minutes of daylight. On my drive to the lake I heard on the radio that we have over 19 hours of usable light right now. Incredible.

6 comments:

bradsgirl said...

I had awesome time last year, can't wait to come back; first class hospitality!! Glad you added the blog, looking forward to reading about the river. Have a good season and congrats on the first fish.

Anonymous said...

Dad says " I didn't catch'em all I had a lot of help from YOU and your big brother!!!

Anonymous said...

Ps. any news on the dog shark?

Anonymous said...

I'll call tomorrow about the dog shark.

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the passage about your father. My grandfather and grandmother were my fishing mentors and some of my fondest memories will always be freshwater river and creek fishing with them. I love the new blogs! My trip to Beaver Creek Cabins in summer 05 from Florida was the tripo of a lifetime for me. I still talk of it with a feeling of disbelief that I was blessed in being able to go and have such a great time. May be a while before I can return because a have a daughter on the way but maybe one day I can provide her with a fishing experience equal to the one I had. Tnank you again for the memories.
Bryan Lee

h. sue said...

See? I told you we want to read about your life up there you guys!