Monday, July 16, 2007

"Fun Boat" Sunday



Sundays in July are the days that I get to go out and practice what I preach. Jane calls our second boat the "Fun Boat" because it's not used for guiding/business. Anyway, Jane was anxious to go out fishing and after the day my boat had on Saturday I was less than enthusiatic. It wasn't that we didn't catch fish, 4 to be exact, it's just that they were small and my clients released them.

Well, every trip and everyday is different on the Kenai. By mid morning we caught 8 kings and decided to keep 2. It was a rare day for two reasons. The first is I kept a Kenai king. I haven't done that in a long time. This is becasue I sometimes feel that if I keep a king I may be taking a future king away from one of my clients (karma?). The second is Jane kept one on the same trip. The king I caught is a perfect fish for the smoker. The fish Jane caught is a perfect fish to keep for the eggs. With the type of fisherman I have the last couple of weeks of July I can never have too many eggs. The fish I'm holding is 49" and is close to 60lbs. Jane's fish is about 30 lbs.

What a great "Fun Boat" day. Let the smoking begin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Great fish!! For anyone who hasn't tried it,click on the fish picture to enlarge it. It gives a whole new perspective on the clarity of the picture. ANH

Anonymous said...

Jane!!! Way to go! Even though we are going to fish silvers, I'm counting the days until we are fishing with Keith. Jodie