Friday, June 19, 2009

Russian River Continues To Be Red Hot




My Thursday group cancelled their king trip so it was time for me to make lemonade out of lemons. I packed my gear early in the morning and headed up to the Russian River.




Once again, the fishing was outstanding.




The second picture is a six fish limit of red salmon. It took me about 1/2 hour hour to catch them all. To get to my six I had at least that many on that I lost and also snagged three more (they were returned to the river). It was great action.




The first picture is of the famed "combat" fishing zone. This picture was taken about 5:30a.m. and the zone only got ighter after the first ferry of the day crossed at 6:00a.m.




I learned two things on this trip. First, when the fish are in, the river never sleeps. Quite a few anglers fished throughout the night. Second, when the fish are in so are the bears. I saw one one black bear and one brown bear working the shoreline for coolers and carcasses. Even though these bears have been around people all of their lives, they are still wild and caution should be exercised. Also, it doesn't hurt to wear tennis shoes when the guy next to you is wearing hip boots.....feel free to finish the punch line to this joke.




Back on the Kenai for kings tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keith-Hmmm I'm not sure if you were referring to the kid who was wearing brand new tennis shoes-saw a bear in Canada and came back home with only 1 tennis shoe but definitely was not because of running away from a bear! Could this be the punch line or are there many others! Happy Father's Day from your Mother Shirley or Sheila whichever you prefer-joke!