Monday, March 15, 2010

Kwikfish


If I had to choose one lure to fish for silver salmon and king salmon it would be Luhr-Jensen's Kwikfish. There is something irrestible about the slow wobble of a kwikfish to a salmon. I'm not sure if they think it's a food source (wrapping the bottom of the lure with a sardine greatly increases effectiveness) or if it's an irritant to them. Either way a kwikfish flat out catches fish.


There are several sizes of kwikfish and a huge selection of colors. The guys and guides that are in the know believe color is not as important as the wobble of the lure. Straight out of the box many kwikfish are out of balance and a small adjustment is needed to the eye hook. Either turning it left or right will "tune" your lure to run straight. The lure will also need to be "tuned" after a sardine wrap is applied, or after catching a fish or getting caught on a snag.


When it comes to guiding on the Kenai I've noticed that there a three types: plug fisherman (kwikfish and variations of them), egg fisherman, and a combination of both. I fall into the latter. If I'm fishing four people I'll have two kwikfish and two eggs out. I feel options are good and I'll let the salmon tell me if they want "steak or eggs" that particular day.


In my next post I'll discuss the names of the kwikfish. Believe me, there are some very, very interesting names.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, kwikfish look like they're shaped like a banana. Coincidence?