Monday, February 28, 2011

Bill Matthies


I know this topic is not "all things related to the Kenai" although he has been to Alaska a couple of times, but today I wanted to write about Jane's father, my father-in-law, Bill Matthies, and the week that he had. On Tuesday a couple of things happened. In the morning Bill was interviewed by Alix Kendall of KMSP Channel 9 about ice diving in Minnesota. The five minute interview was informative and it was a nice tribute to his career. Then, later that evening, Bill was reappointed to the Civil Service Commission for the City of Brainerd, Minnesota. That makes 19 years of self less giving to the city in which he lives. Finally, at the end of the week and the creme de la creme, Bill was awarded the Diving Community Contribution Award by the Great Lakes Preservation Society (acceptance photo above). He jokingly said that all you have to do is get old to receive these accolades. Be that as it may, it is impressive and a fact that my father-in-law is the oldest PADI certified instructor in the WORLD. Way to go Bill!

I thought I'd share one quick story about my father-in-law and this has something to do with fishing. Several years ago in the fall, Bill picked me up at the Brainerd airport. I was flying in from Alaska to go fishing in Ontario for a week. When he met me he said he didn't get it that I would "take a break from fishing to go fishing." You have to understand this comment came from a non fisherman. Anyway, I said "Bill, when you aren't teaching commercial diving what do you do for fun? Dive, I bet." He agreed and I told him we both enjoy what we do and we're lucky. You know, as I think about that conversation I realize that doing what I do for a living is not the only thing that makes me lucky. Marrying his daughter and being part of his family makes me lucky as well.

Make sure to check back tomorrow to read about "all things related to the Kenai."

No comments: