Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend Fishing Report

Hope everyone is enjoying the long Memorial Day weekend. Make sure to take a moment to remember those who have served and those that we have lost.

I had a couple of trips this past week and I would say the fishing is starting to shape up nicely. On Wednesday I fished the Wynschenk family. What a great crew. The day started out with frost on the boat seats but by mid morning it was a gorgeous day on the water. We saw a moose, plenty of eagles but unfortunately not a king salmon. For about 10 seconds Alexa had one on but it just wasn't meant to be. It was the proverbial "fish that got away" day.

On Saturday I fished long time friends Grant and Jake Watts. Since I first started fishing with these guys Jake has grown about two feet. Jake has had quite a few king salmon on in the past and for some reason or another I haven't been able to net one for him. That changed on Saturday. Although not a huge king salmon for the Kenai it provided the first fresh salmon fillets for the Watts family (photo above).

The other report I have is for the Anchor river which is about an hour away from our cabins. You may recognize this guy from posts in the past or perhaps you recognize him from the hit TV series Alaska State Troopers, but my friend Dan Brom sent me two photos of king salmon that he caught this past week from the banks of the Anchor River. Nice, nice fish Dan and I look forward to fishing with you in a couple of weeks.





No comments: