Monday, May 14, 2012

Kenai River Salvage Run 2012

Last week I was getting a bit itchy to do my annual Kenai River salvage run.   I always feel if I don't get out just after ice out I'm going to miss out on the good stuff.  What was different about this year's float is, 1) Jane came with me, and 2) I started at Stewart's Landing rather than starting out at Centennial Park in Soldotna.  Instead of an all day float this trip would last 3-4 hours. We weren't out on the river for ten minutes when I found the anchor pictured above.  I was pretty excited, Jane not so much.   I had to explain to her that when it comes to river salvaging an anchor is the holy grail and we found one right away.   At this point I really didn't care if we didn't find another thing.
Well, a little bit farther downstream I saw a small boil on the river.  I made sure to drift near it and what I found was a ball of lures wrapped on a small log.  This photo is a birds eye view looking into the water.  Pretty easy to find when there's that many brightly colored lures lumped together.
I had difficulty trying to lift the snag out of the water and it was for good reason.   At the base of the log an anchor chain and anchor were wrapped around it.  No doubt, I would have to say this was the best single find I have had on any salvage run.
YAHTZEE!   Not a bad haul for a 3-4 hour float.   We definitely weren't too late this year and we definitely found some good stuff.

So, for all of you looking for a photo of Jane paddling down the river, I'm sorry to disappoint you.   The two things I had to promise her if she came with is that I couldn't laugh at her, and I couldn't post any photos of her in waders.   I didn't keep the promise about laughing but I'm sure going to keep the one about posting photos of her in waders......I'd like her to come again next year.

No comments: