Monday, July 30, 2012

Fishing Report Week Ending 7/30/12


Let me start this post off with a comment before we talk about the fishing this past week.   Many visitors came to the Peninsula this summer to catch a Kenai king.  That is the trip they booked.  When the king fishery was closed many people decided to do other things.  Because of the changes, I cannot fault anyone for cancelling a scheduled Kenai king trip.   I did provide guided red salmon trips as a replacement for some of our guests but many of our long time clients are perfectly capable of doing this on their own and do not need my services.   Jane and I feel very fortunate that the majority of people who cancelled king trips this year have booked ahead for the 2013 king season.   Let's hope this year is an exception and not a pattern of things to come.   Now, on to the fishing report....

Pictured above are Linda, Bill, Mark, and Jodi.  Over the course of a couple of days we red fished, dipnetted, and red fished some more.   Needless to say there are tired arms and plenty of fillets in the freezer.  It was a lot of fun spending time with Bill and Linda again and it was great to meet Mark and Jodi for the first time.   Also, thanks guys for the great dinner!

Above is Adam Extrand and his dad Charlie.  The downside of their trip was they couldn't try to catch a king.  The upside is that in over 20 years of fishing the Kenai this is the BEST red salmon fishing Adam has ever had.  

If you follow the blog through the years you've seen quite a few photos of Dave and Sarah Sporrer catching king salmon (pictured above with Jane).  This year Jane and I got to spend an afternoon with them fishing reds on the bank.   Great weather, great fishing, and great company.  Hard to beat that!

Let me end this post by talking about the weather.  Most of the lower 48 has been burning up this summer.   Alaska, on the other hand, has seen the second coldest July ever (Anchorage specifically).  The average temperature for the month has been 54.6 degrees.   Hate to rub it in but this is another great reason to visit Alaska in the summer.

See you next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Customer always comes first with K&J at Beaver Creek. Other guides egos and wallets get in the way of what I want to do. I've tried others and that's why I book with you guys. Thx. See you next year.

JT

Anonymous said...

The weather: I returned to hot Florida and remember why I don't mind when it's cool and rainy in Alaska in July. After reading your blog on a regular basis and fishing with you four out the last seven years reminds me as to why I refer to you as The Kenai's Number One Guide..... And the next time I'm on the Kenai If it's not closed,, I'll be fishing for Kings catching and Keeping or Catching or releasing. "Ah, Let Him Go, Jerry"

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Thanks, George, your words are very kind. Jane and I will have to come experience "hot Florida" in the winter.