Monday, July 9, 2012

Fishing Report Week Ending 7/9/12

I was hoping the first week of July would not be a repeat of what happened in June.......I was wrong.  I just attended a "King Salmon Preservation Rally" this morning at the offices of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.   It was an opportunity for all citizens to express their concerns about the lack of king salmon in the Kenai River and the state overall.  Believe it or not it was a civil gathering with a common goal:  GET MORE KINGS IN OUR RIVERS!   The timing of this rally conicided with the latest emergency order.  As of July 9th the Kenai River will go to a catch and release fishery.   Unless the run gathers strength there is a strong possibility that the river will close to king salmon fishing for the rest of the season.   Definitely unchartered waters for the Kenai and the month of July.
So, I can describe this past week of fishing in one word:  tough.   We managed a couple of bites, one king salmon, and a rainbow trout.  The top photo is Mitchell with a 40lb king.  When we got back to the dock I asked these guys if I could take a photo of Team Minnesota (Tom, Jacob, Mitchell, and Jacob).  I always say it takes a team effort to land a king salmon and no doubt this was the case.   Lots of chaos in the boat especially when all lines were tangled together with the fish.  It's never dull or routine when there's a king on the line. 
Here's Ellie "Penelope Pink Boots" holding up a rainbow trout that bit on, what else, a pink spin 'n glo.   I sure had a lot of fun spending time  with Ellie and her grandma and grandpa Meyer.
Hey, Dan and Mary, it will be a short nine weeks until we get to chase silvers in the river.

Let me end this post by saying Jane and I are busy contacting our July guests to inform them that the fishery has changed.  If we haven't got a hold of you yet, be patient.  Or, feel free to give us a call or drop us an email.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still coming for catch n release and will fill my cooler with sockeyes!

Anonymous said...

I'm still coming and plan on catching a 56 inch trophy and fill my cooler with reds as well.

george