Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fishing Report Week Ending 10/14/12


The one that got away.....



And the one that didn't.....

The photos above from this past week kind of summarize the 2012 season.    Up and down, lucky and unlucky, hot and cold.  Pick your description. It was just a weird season and if you didn't roll with the punches most likely the only things that will get you through the winter are therapy or self medication.

2012 was a season of under abundance and over abundance;  not many king or silver salmon, a whole bunch of red and pink salmon.   It was an unprecendented year for the people that manage the fisheries.   A June/July closure for king salmon and a September/October closure due to high water.    My hats are off to them for trying to juggle what is best for the resource versus sport, commercial, and subsistence interests.    Not a job I would want because no matter what decisions you make at least one user group will be angry with you.

The good news is I'm looking forward to 2013.   One year does not make a trend and I'm optimistic that mother nature will take care of herself and the Kenai will continue to be an international destination for recreation.

My final thought about the 2012 fishing season.  I want to thank everyone that booked a trip with me.  I'm humbled by the people that keep coming back and for the people who, after having the choice of hundreds of guides on this river, decided to take a chance and chose me.  After all these years, my goal is simple and has not changed:  give you the best day on the river that I can.

See you next week.     

1 comment:

Dan said...

How could anyone not come back after spending time with you and Jane in such a beautiful place. I am a cub fan so I believe next year will be great. See you at the sport show.