Monday, January 28, 2013

Fish Whacker


Fish whacker.  Bonker.  Anesthetizer.  The Ol' Wood Shampoo.  Clubber Lang.   When it comes to dispatching a fish, fisherman are a crazy bunch.

Call it what you will but when it comes to taking care of your salmon one of your most important tools is the fish whacker.   It may seem neanderthal but thumping your catch on the noggin' is critical step in preserving the fish.  It neautralizes a thrashing fish which prevents bruising of the flesh and the build up of lactic acids.  Both will affect the flavor and it's not for the better.  Also, whacking your catch is the humane thing to do.   A blow to the head won't kill your fish but it  knocks it out.   This is good because the heart will still be able to pump out blood when a gill raker is cut.   You've heard me say this on the blog before but I'll say it once more:  whacking a fish and bleeding it are the two most important things to do to ensure the best table fare possible.

Fish whackers come in many shapes and sizes.  I wish I could take credit for being the first to use a bowling pin, as pictured above, but this style of fish whacker was used years ago by my mentor Jeff King (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery).  His words to me,  "it's all part of the show, Grasshopper...."
 


Here's a photo of the collection of fish whackers that are in my boats.
Here's the natural, wood line up (major league level).
Here's the metal line up (college level).
And, this is a souvenir wood bat that my friend Sam made up for the 2012 silver/pink season.   He wanted me to use it while he was here but I told him it was too nice to be used.   It's now proudly displayed in my office.

So, the next time you're out salmon fishing, don't forget to bring a fish whacker with you. If you forget one, keep in mind that a rock or stick will work just as well.  It doesn't have the same panache' but it will work in a pinch.

"Whack 'em and stack 'em, me boy....."





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! Hahaha.