Monday, May 13, 2013

Early Run Goes to Catch & Release




The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has announced that the early king salmon run on the Kenai will become a catch and release fishery beginning May 16th.    Keep in mind this order does allow the retention of any king salmon under 20" or over 55" inches but, in essence, it's catch and release.    Click here for additional details of the emergency order.

Just so there's no confusion, starting July 1st, the second, or late run management plan kicks in.   Although this early run emergency order will extend until July 14th, it only affects known spawning areas of the river (mostly the middle river) and not the entire river.   The areas I fish, the lower tidal area of the river, will not be affected by this emergency order change of management plans.

I've been told by Fish and Game officials that they decided to begin the 2013 season conservatively but if the run strength increases they will lift the restrictions.    This is nothing new, and something they have done in the past, so I'm okay with their decision.    After all, the fish come first!

I am in the process of contacting all my May/June clients and so far the response has been positive.   If  I haven't got a hold of you yet, be patient, I will soon.

Stay tuned to the blog; it's going to be an interesting summer....

No comments: