Sunday, January 26, 2014

2014 Kenai King Forecast


Wish I had better news but it looks like 2014 will be a lot like 2013.

My prediction is the first run of kings (May/June) will start out conservative, most likely catch and release.   Some time in early June a determination will be made whether or not the minimum of escapement goal of 5500 will be met.  Based on Alaska Department of Fish and Game's (ADF&G) preseason prediction of 2150 my guess is the fishery will be closed and that will last until the beginning of the second run, July 1st.

The second run (July) will start out conservatively, perhaps no bait.   By the middle of the month, if ADF&G can not predict the minimum escapement of 15,000, the fishery will go to catch and release. Considering their prediction is 19,700, there's a very good chance that the fishery will go from catch and release to a full closure towards the end of the month.

That's my best guess and I hope mother nature proves ADF&G and me wrong.  If not, I am definitely geared up to offer guided red salmon and trout trips during this period.   This has been my advice to all of my May, June, July clients: BE FLEXIBLE.   One way or another I'll give you an Alaskan fishing experience.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's Pokey?