Sunday, July 20, 2014

Fishing Report Week Ending 7/20/14

Ken French

As of Saturday, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced that the Kenai River king fishery will be catch and release until the end of July due to low abundance.   If the numbers in the days ahead continue to decline ADFG will most likely close the king fishery entirely.

So, that is the bad news.  The good news is king and red salmon fishing last week was not so bad.   Some groups struggled, but others found success.

George French
After a one year absence, I had the pleasure of spending several days on the water with George and Jerry French.  They were joined by first timers William and their baby brother Ken.  
Team French with William
George is a long time reader and commentator on this blog.   Always positive and quick with a story, our time spent together is always too short.   Whenever George is here with his group, whether it's family or not, I always think of the sign that Big Will has in shop:  "Fishing is the Least Important Part of Fishing."    I may see Jerry this fall for a silver trip but George will most likely put together another "trip of a lifetime" next year.
Mike
It's always fun to get back in the boat with someone from years gone by.  Mike Anderson last fished with me nine years ago and his touch for king fishing hasn't worn off.   On the second troll of the morning he boated this 42" king salmon.  
Ning





And how about this for the other side of the spectrum.  Ning had never fished in his life before and chose me to take him out on his first adventure.  I'd like to say he handled the fight of this fish like an old pro but I'm afraid I'd be lying.   Do you think he was a happy camper when this fish made it to the net?

John, Victor, Dean, and Jerry
Wish the action would have been better for Team Minnesota (pictured above) on Friday afternoon.   Everyone at least caught one fish and they each had multiple chances at more.   I don't think they were too disappointed with their results because they talked quite a bit about coming back next year.
Saturday Evening dipnetting
The third weekend of July is the time that I set aside for my own dipnet trip.   This is the haul from the A Team, or as my neighbor refers to us as, "Seal Team 6".   I didn't get a group photo of Dan, Mark, and Todd but I did take this photo of 100 red salmon.


College buddies Mark Stopha and Todd Laflamme

The dipnetting was very good on Saturday so we decided to give Sunday morning a try (without Dan).   Our luck continued and our permits were complete for 2014.

This past week we had old friends and new friends at the cabins and I wanted to acknowledge them.  Joe, Dennis, and Leroy, it was fun to chase reds and kings with you.   Your great attitudes did not translate to a lot of action. Dick and Kim Miller....now I know why you guys make the best venison products.   Thanks for your help with all the fish.   Bob "the Coach" Laflamme, and his wife Janet "Chief Sealer" also helped with the processing of the fish.  Thanks guys and safe travels.

The week ahead I'll be doing a combination of catch and release king salmon trips and bank fishing for reds. I expect one to be a big game hunt and the other to be a harvest.  See you next Sunday.

2 comments:

Dave Anderson said...

Nice picture of John! He's quite a guy and if you ever need a pacemaker you can be thankful of his contribution to modern medical science. I'm anxious to talk to him.

King George said...

Thanks Keith and Jane for another great stay at Beaver Creek Cabins. William had a great first trip to Alaska and to see brother Kenny join the French King Landing group was awesome.
What a pleasure and honor to have met you two in 2005 and to have had the good fortune to introduce my family and friends to The Kenai's # 1 guide and hostess over past 9 years. Thanks for the Kind words Keith and the friendship and professionalism of Beaver Creek Cabins and Guide Service. Happy to call you two great friends and I will see you in Minnosota on the Ice or on the Beach in Florida this WINTER.

George