Sunday, August 10, 2014

Fishing Report Week Ending 8/10/14

The silver run is starting to build.  Every day this past week the silver fishing got better.   Wish I could say that the photo of Karen and Susie came from their day on the Kenai but these fish came from a fly out trip across the inlet.   Peg and Kathy were also on the trip but were unavailable for the photo.

On Tuesday, Susie had the honor of boating the first silver salmon in my boat for 2014.


Kathy quickly followed up with this silver on an incoming tide.  There's nothing quite like the feel of the tap, tap, tap bite when you're back bouncing a sinker on the bottom of the river.

It's always sad when Team Oregon packs up to leave.  Jane and I value their friendship and truly enjoy being around them.  Who knows, maybe this will be the winter that I schedule a fishing trip to their part of the world.

On Thursday, Steve caught a silver that forgot what month it was. This fish is just under 14lbs.
Besides the silvers we caught, Team Smagala decided to save a boat limit of fresh pinks.   This represented just a fraction of what was caught and released that day.
On Friday I had the pleasure of spending the day with Bill, Gail, Gary and Mary.  Do you think Gail is happy that she's outfishing the boys?

Here's Bill with the largest fish of the day.  He also managed to catch another silver and limit out first.
Here's Gary and Mary after their day on the river.
Lance and Ethan Anderson

Talk about a small world.  When Jane and I were at the Minnesota Sportsmen Show in St. Paul, Lance Anderson stopped by our booth to talk about fishing and hiking in Alaska.  It didn't take long to realize we knew each other. Lance and I were freshman together at Gustavus Adolphus College 33 years ago.. Lance was planning an Alaskan trip with his son Ethan. They came to Beaver Creek Cabins at the end of their adventure (Saturday).  They told me they had a great time fishing and hiking in Seward, Homer, and in Kenai.  I have the feeling that this won't be their last trip to the 49th State.

I usually wait until after my Sunday trip to write this report.  But, because of an evening commitment, I had to put this report together Saturday night.   I'm a little concerned about fishing conditions over the next couple of days. Waters are rising and it's turning muddy.   Sometimes it affects silver and pink fishing, sometimes it doesn't.....time will tell. Make sure to come back next week to see how it all shakes out.

No comments: