Monday, August 18, 2014

Fishing Report Week Ending 8/17/14

"....And the river she rises, just like she used to do..."

If any of you remember the 1970's soft rock hit, "In the Heart of the Night" you too would have been singing this lyric all week.   With monster tides and a flooding river the Kenai was an interesting place to be.

Sunday proved to be the most challenging day of the week.   Due to muddy conditions, our pink production was cut in half and the silvers were elusive.  Justin tricked one into biting just as we ended the day. I'm not kidding, I told everyone our day was over and as Justin reeled in his line this fish hit.  I've never been more excited to see a single silver caught in my life.

This past week was also the beginning of "Blinn Week 1".  Gary, the Grand Poobah of this group, put on one of the best meals I've had all summer. King crab, grilled salmon, smoked salmon chowder, and his famous Dump Cake were on the menu.  I'm lucky that I get to experience this meal two more times this year.
Now, back to the fishing report.  The river continued to rise everyday this week. That's not always a good thing but what happened was the water began to run clearer (less mud).  This lead to better fishing. On Tuesday, Team Wolfe certainly enjoyed the increased action.
On Wednesday, I once again had the honor of participating in Senator Lisa Murkowski's Junior Classic.   This event is for children of military families, and children from the Boys and Girls Club.  Do you think "Team Alaska" was having a good time?
The event lasted for 3 hours and in that short time these girls wore me out.  
On Friday, Donald had an early morning limit of silvers.  Do you think his son was happy for him?
Mark definitely earned the title of the Man With The Most Patience.   I told him if he could wait that long for a silver to bite he would have no problem fishing for king salmon
Sunday morning the bite was definitely on.   Here's Ben, Jack, Jeremy, and Wally with their catch.
And the bite continued into the afternoon.  Here's Ian, Sham, Nick, and Gary.

So, here's my prediction for the week ahead.  With the river cresting Monday morning, I expect the fishing to get better.  Make sure to check back next week to see if I'm correct.


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wholly crap that is a lot of water!