Sunday, August 31, 2014

Fishing Report Week Ending 8/31/14

Blinn Week 3 has come and gone.  I look forward to this week of the year like I look forward to a family reunion that I WANT to go to and not the reunion that I HAVE to go to.  It's the kind of reunion that you don't want to end.  This is because the third week of Gary's trip is comprised of the old guard, the guys that I have been coming here the longest.  I'd list them all but I'm afraid I'd leave someone out.  All I can say is 2016 can't come soon enough.
What kind of week was it out there?   It definitely felt like the first run is slowing down.   Fish are being caught, silvers and pinks, but not with the same frequency as the previous week.   If you found the right spot, a boat limit of silvers could be had.  If not, you had to move around a lot to find a few fish.  My hat is off to Jeff King (who guided the Blinn group as well), for finding "the spot" and consistently put his guys on silvers.
So what's this photo all about?  When Chuck Sanders arrived he brought a new fish whacker for me to try. On the face of the club is a logo that says "Club Fishhead".  This is an 8 iron, usually the second club I need to reach the green on a par 5.
I hate to say it but not everyone caught silvers this past week.  Steve Morris was on fire (the whole week), followed closely by Chuck.  Will and Randy on the other hand, well, this photo says it all.
 Chuck posing with the Club Fishhead fish whacker.
Another photo of Chuck and Steve with an early morning silver limit.

Besides the Blinn group, I also spent some time on the water with a couple of old college friends, Todd Laflamme and Ray Rhash.  Ray came up to spend a week hiking Denali.  He had an extra day before he flew out and Todd said Ray needed to go catch a few fish on the Kenai. I'm sure glad they could make it down for a few hours.
We had to sort through ten humpies before a silver would hit.  A fun afternoon.

I also spent a day with Mike and John.  I asked them what they wanted to do and they said "fish". Specifically, they said they wanted to see the river and they wanted to release everything.  We took the old "run and gun" approach and threw spinners the whole trip.   Many, many pinks, and quite a few silvers.
 Here's Mike releasing one of his silvers.
John and Mike working the water.  A great father and son moment.

I've got a busy week ahead and I hope the silver numbers start to improve. Starting September 1st, the limit on silver salmon goes to 3 fish a day.   I've got my fingers crossed that the second run will start early....

p.s. to Steve.  I really, really liked everyone last week.  No fooling.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the cabins and fishin' with you. Can't wait for 2016.

Anonymous said...

Big hitter

King George said...

Let's see....you used the eight iron as your second club on a par 5......so I guess you use the driver for your first 4 shots and use the 8 iron to chip on your 5th shot?