Sunday, March 8, 2015

Waterproof boots...Tennessee style

Kenny French
It's been said that necessity is the mother of invention.   It's also been said difficult situations inspire ingenious solutions.   Not sure that either one applies to what I witnessed this past summer.  I'll let you be the judge.
Kenny French came to our place with his famous brothers' George and Jerry.   As we were fishing for king salmon, I noticed something sticking out of Kenny's boots. I said, "Kenny, something's sticking out of your boots."



He said, "I know.  It's a grocery bag.  My brothers told me I needed to bring waterproof boots if I came to Alaska.  I figured wrapping my feet in a grocery bag would keep 'em dry."

Let's just say I'm pretty confident I won't ever see that again (unless Kenny comes back).


Speaking of ingenious solutions, a couple of summers ago my good friend Cary Dawson broke his rod tip while red fishing.  He didn't want to stop fishing so he did a field repair. He liked his fix so much he fished the rest of the week this way. So, ingenious solution?  Or, Oregonian Redneck....

Cary "Col. Chuck Yeager" Dawson


I kid. Cary's a resourceful guy and has helped us out at the cabins many, many times. Hey Cary, Jane and I miss seeing you. We hope this is the year you find your way back to Alaska. And, if you can make it, don't worry about bringing duct tape because we have plenty of it.

4 comments:

Mack said...

You're surprised that someone fixed a rod with duct tape. Please. You're going to loose your Alaska credentials and your man card.

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Not surprised by the fix just suprised by fact that he fished a whole week that way.

Hope all is well with you and Carol. Alaska's loss has been Australia's gain.

Unknown said...

Thanks

Unknown said...

The grocery bag is indeed an ingenious solution as far as waterproofing boots is concerned. I like keeping my feet dry whenever I am out camping, hiking, or trekking. Do you have other tips for waterproofing boots that you can share? I similarly checked out more tips here: http://survival-mastery.com/skills/camp/how-to-waterproof-boots.html