Sunday, May 10, 2015

River Salvage 2015

I wasn't the first guy out salvaging this year.  Let's just say a property owner somewhere between river mile 13 and 15 had a head start.   His report was that the picking was good.
Knowing this before I drifted the river, I needed to search parts of the river that were more difficult to get to when the water levels are low. That is one of the advantages of salvaging with a cataraft versus a power boat.
I found the usual fishing tackle,   Pixie spoons, kwikfish, spinners and one bright blue jet planer (photo above).  I also found sunglasses, pliers, and a hook file.
This is a folding chair that a bank fisherman must have lost.
And, a soccer ball.  If you recall my post from the 2014 salvage run, I found a volley ball.  Good to know that there is a diversity of athletes on the river.
I had to take a close up photo of the soccer ball.  My last name, Holtan, is often pronounced by many as "Holden".  Made me laugh when I found it.
Perhaps the biggest find of the year for me was this gaff.  Makes me wonder about how it got there. You see, gaffs are illegal to use on the river.   It doesn't mean you can't have one in the boat, you just aren't allowed to use it on a fish.  If I have faith in mankind, the gaff was used to grab an anchor rope and it slipped out of someone's hands. However, the problem with that theory is I found it in a section of the river where anchoring is not done.  The real story of the missing gaff will forever be a mystery, that is, unless you're the guy that lost it and you're reading this story.  If you are, send me an email and fill me in on the details.

Well, that's about it. I've said this in previous posts about river salvaging; the Holy Grail is to find an anchor.  I was denied this year. Oh, I did find part of an anchor, but that does not count.   So, as long as the river stays low and clear, don't be surprised if you read about another salvage run. It's not over, until it's over....




No comments: