Monday, July 25, 2016

Fishing Report Week Ending 7/24/16

It was a good week, not a great week, for king fishing.  I definitely had higher expectations leading into it.  I think it was a combination of increased fishing pressure, the sonar count numbers being half of what they were the previous week, and rising water levels that affected the overall bite.  The photo above is a first troll Super Tuesday king for Jeff.  What a way to start off the week.
Here's Riley with a "quittin' time" last troll of the day Kenai king. This fish measured 51" and had a girth of 30". Riley is fifteen years old and the last time he caught a king with me he was seven years old. Hmmm, I think he needs to come back a little more often....
Bob, along with Jerry, are Team Tennessee.  It didn't take too long to add his name to the list of the Kenai king first timers club.
Here's my good friend George, grandfather to Riley, proudly displaying his fish. I think it was his lucky jacket and hat that got this fish to bite.  It was pure skill that got him into the boat.
Riley, on his second day fishing the Kenai, caught this king. This fish was mortally wounded, and being the good sportsman, he decided to keep it. Good call by this fine young man.
Jerry, George's brother, unfortunately did not land a king this year. He did, however, take home the title of the Sockeye Master. Next time we'll get a king to stay on your hook....
Here's Jeff with his second (and final) king of the year. The most interesting part of this battle is that he fought this fish with a seal attacking it.  Two different times the seal grabbed a hold of it, but ultimately Jeff won the war.
My old buddy Ed from Montana worked in a half day trip this week. Ed and I haven't had the best of luck catching kings but this fish marks the beginning of our new streak.
Ian, who came with Ed, caught this nice king on the very next troll.
Mike, who fished with Jeff, proudly shows off his second and hardest earned king.  It was a lot of fun and I look forward to spending time with you guys next year.
Michael last fished with me five years ago.  On that trip he caught one of the largest king salmon ever to be released in my boat. It measured out at 53".  That karma carried on over to this fish hooked on the first troll of the morning.
A couple of hours later on the same trip Gary landed this beauty. He's fished with me several times and I am proud to say this was his first Kenai king.
What a way to end the week. Team X, dad Adam on the left and son Aiden on the right, back bounced this 50lber into the boat. It was an exciting battle that tested the drag on the reel and our nerves.  Their expressions are priceless.  

So the week ahead will be the final week of the king salmon season on the Kenai. My guess is that the fishing will be spotty.  Every tide will be important and if there aren't fish coming up then it will be a struggle.  I am looking forward to how the season will end because historically, the largest king caught in my boat has come during this time.  Come back next week to see if it does.  

No comments: