Sunday, February 19, 2017

Ice Fishing Part 2

After posting about ice fishing in Alaska, I received a few photos from friends of mine with fish they've caught this winter. I might as well start out with the biggest and it's a photo of my buddy Andy with a monster northern pike.
This is Andy's son, Drew. A chip off the ol' block, wouldn't you say?
Here's Peter with a great eating size northern pike.
 Esko Bill with a sturgeon.
....a steelhead,
...and a monster walleye.
Thompson Kenny with a beautiful winter sturgeon.
Had to include a few photos of my old buddy Dave. Here's a nice eating size walleye. Pretty good multi tasking for an older fella to take a selfie and hold a fish at the same time....ha!
...and here's a HUGE perch. Uff da!

I'm sure a lot of my southern friends are confused about why anyone would want to ice fish. Well, quite simply, we do it because it's a lot of fun and it's not as cold as you would think. You either fish in an ice house that has all the features of a comfortable home (propane heat, satellite tv, bathroom, couches, etc.), or you wear the right clothing and fish outside. As my grandma Ina use to say, "there's no such thing as bad weather, it's bad clothing." That's sage advice no matter where you are in this world.




Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the heck is uff da? Is it a secret language only fisherman know? Explain.

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

My dad use to say uff da often when something went wrong. It's a Norwegian phrase for surprise or bafflement.

"Hey Albert, did you bring the bait?"

"Uff da, I thought you were suppose to bring it this time..."