Sunday, February 12, 2017

Ice Fishing

In an earlier post I asked for reader input about topics I should cover. An anonymous poster said I should write about ice fishing. Well, this post is for you.

A popular spot to ice fish on the Kenai Peninsula is Sport Lake. It's conveniently close to town (Soldotna/Kenai), and ADFG has stocked it full of rainbow trout, king and silver salmon (kokanee). If I've conditioned you to photos of large fish on the Kenai River, you'll probably be disappointed with this size of these fish. A large king or silver will be between 1-2 pounds.
Stocked lakes in Alaska usually equate to small fish and non stop action. Although there are a few large trout in Sport Lake, the previous description fits this lake to a "T". Above is a rainbow trout at the top of a 10" hole. This is a typical size fish found in a stocked lake. The bait of choice is usually salmon eggs on a small jig or spoon.
A rather petite silver (kokanee) salmon.
On this day I was out ice fishing with my neighbors. To the left is Evelyn, and on the right is Rusty. They're checking the depth and getting their lines baited up.
Here's Jane proudly displaying one of the many Sport Lake rainbow trout she caught.
Here's another photo of my neighbors. Rusty is on the left, Charlie is in the middle, and that's the Fish Whisperer, Barbara on the right.
Yours truly with a rainbow trout.  All in all, we probably caught over a 100 fish on this day and released everyone of them. It was a great day to get outside and spend quality time with friends.
I wanted to end this post with this photo. As I left the lake I looked over my shoulder to see this wonderful sight. It's never a bad thing being in the outdoors fishing with your children.





Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service

No comments: