Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Week Fishing Report


Because of the brave, we are free. Happy Memorial Day everybody.

So, I'm proud to be giving my first weekly report of fishing on the Kenai River. On Monday, I partnered up with my neighbors, Greg and Ron, to spend a day drifting the river.

It was a gorgeous float, but unfortunately, the salmon had other plans. After about four hours of fishing and rowing, the three of us had zero bites. There we no complaints for the lack of action on a day like this.
The next afternoon there was a huge tide, so I figured it was time to get my power boat in for the season. I've been holding off doing this because the water levels have been low (no reason to wreck a prop or the lower unit). I took the safe route and launched at the mouth of the river and ran my boat up to the dock. When I came into the creek I saw my first momma and baby moose of the year. If you look under mom, you can see the baby moose. 
Here's a better view of the little guy.
Now that I'm ready to go, the last three evenings I've been out fishing with my neighbor Dan. We timed the incoming tides and have fished a couple of hours each evening. So far, we have yet to have a bite. Oh, we've seen a few red salmon jump, a couple of kings roll, and actually witnessed one other boat land a fish...yeah! I told Dan every hour we spend fishing is one hour closer to catching our first king salmon of the year. It's going to happen, and I think it will happen soon...
On a side note. We did have a productive day on Sunday, although it had nothing to do with catching fish. In a matter of five minutes these two lures came floating down. Finders keepers, losers weepers!

For the week ahead, I anticipate the fishing will be better. I base this on a favorable tide cycle, and an increase in fish passages. For those of you who follow the sonar counts on ADFG's website, you can see the numbers are getting better everyday and they're quite a bit higher than this time last year. That's very encouraging.

Well, that's it. Make sure to come back next week to see what's happening.




Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service