Saturday, May 13, 2017

Salmon Celebration


In the beginning of the week I received a call from a friend of mine, Jenny Gates, who is a fisheries biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Jenny was looking for volunteers for the Salmon Celebration event being held at Johnson Lake Campground on May 11th. I asked what I could do and she said she could use help teaching elementary students how to cast a spinning rod.

What? Kids? Fishing? I'm in.

Students trying to cast a lure into the cutout holes
From 10:00am until 2:00pm, over one thousand elementary school children from the Kenai Peninsula Borough participated in this event. Besides learning how to use a spinning rod, there were over 30 educational, hands on, activities for the students to participate in. The activities ranged from water quality demonstrations, waterfowl identification, juvenile fish identification, stocking rainbow trout, boating safety, first aid, and understanding the salmon life cycle


The weather was great, the kids were enthused, and it was fun to teach students how to use a spinning rod.

I do find it ironic that, on this day of celebrating salmon, the first confirmed Kenai king that I'm aware of was caught and released (a video was forwarded to me). I've got a few boat maintenance issues that I'm dealing with right now, but my first trip should be happening very soon...very soon.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. To all the mom's that read this blog, enjoy the day!




Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service




No comments: